‘Social Media’ is the term commonly given to websites and online tools which allow users to interact with each other in some way – by sharing information, opinions, knowledge and interests.
TREB encourages all of its Members to explore and engage in online social media networks at a level at which they feel comfortable, but to do so in accordance with these policies and guidelines and all other applicable TREB policies and laws.
All social media comments, complaints and enquiries should be directed to:
Genevieve Grant, Social Media Coordinator
Tel: 416-443-8159 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For media enquiries:
Mary Gallagher Senior Manager, Public Affairs
Tel: 416-443-8158 or Email: email@example.com
TREB’s social media websites and networking services provide valuable, up-to-date information pertaining to the Greater Toronto Area real estate market and TREB activities. In addition, TREB’s use of its social media sites are for the purpose of expanding the dialogue about matters important to the GTA real estate environment beyond the borders of its Membership.
These sites and services include, but are not limited to Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Twitter, YouTube, TREB Blog (TREB Wire). If you choose to participate in any TREB sponsored social media networks, you are making a commitment to comply with the guidelines set forth under this policy.
- Access to closed or private TREB sponsored social media networks will only be granted to those individuals who have submitted a request for membership and have been approved by TREB’s [Social Media Coordinator]. Access is open to all Members of TREB, but access to such TREB sponsored social media networks can be rescinded where there is a breach of social media policies and guidelines or other applicable TREB policies.
- TREB moderates all comments on TREBwire.com. The Social Media Coordinator must approve comments before they can appear publicly for the purpose of filtering out spam and comments that may violate the social media policy outlined in this document.
- Materials and content published by TREB through its social media networks will be a combination of materials and content created or submitted by TREB and users of such networks. When submitting content to or for TREB sponsored social networks, DO NOT claim authorship of something that is not yours. If you are using or submitting third-party content/sites, make certain that they are credited for it, and that they approve of you utilizing and submitting their content. Do not use or submit materials subject to copyright, trademark, publicity rights or other rights of others without the necessary permissions of the rightholder(s).
- Cite or link back to content rather than republishing it, unless you have received the necessary consent to republish.
- When communicating through TREB social media networks always disclose your name and your relationship with TREB. It is not acceptable to use aliases or otherwise deceive people.
- When communicating through TREB social media networks it is important to specifically state that any personal views or opinions you express are yours and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of TREB. To help reduce the potential for confusion, we would appreciate if you would include the following disclaimer, or something similar, together with your comments: These postings are mine alone and do not necessarily represent TREB’s position or opinions.
- Make an effort to write and post things that people will value. If it helps people improve their knowledge, skills or their understanding about TREB and/or the GTA real estate market –then it’s adding value.
- When communicating through TREB social media networks respect your audience and try to stay on topic.
- If you disagree with other posted opinions, do so
respectfully. There can be a fine line between healthy debate and hysterical reaction. See if you can invite differing points of view without inflaming others.
- Make sure your communications are truthful and in good
taste. Correct mistakes when necessary. Don’t use personal insults, engage in personal attacks, or use obscenity, ethnic slurs, or language that may be considered defamatory, discriminatory, threatening or offensive. Avoid unnecessary and unproductive arguments and don’t engage in hostile, off-topic rants that distract from thoughtful public discourse. Be mindful that what you post or publish may reflect on your own reputation as well as that of TREB and other group members.
- Remember your obligations under other TREB policies and agreements and ensure that your participation in social media networks does not breach any of those obligations.
- Comments or material posted on or using TREB sponsored social media networks should never disclose private or confidential information. Sharing of information needs to be limited to publicly available information only. Care should be taken to avoid using personal, confidential or ‘insider’ information to the disadvantage or prejudice of TREB, clients, suppliers, employees and/or fellow group members. Always ask permission to publish or report on conversations that are meant to be private or internal to TREB or other third-parties.
- Before submitting or publishing a picture of a TREB Member or employee or any third-party, ask permission from the person who was photographed. This especially important for pictures taken in social settings – which can sometimes send unintended or unwanted messages to viewers. A standard form of consent for use of photographs can be obtained from TREB’s Social Media Coordinator.
- Always pause and think before posting – what you write or publish is your responsibility. Be mindful that what you post may be public for a very long time and could be shared by others. When in doubt, do not post.
- By submitting content to TREB for use on its social media networks, you are granting TREB (and you represent and warrant that you have the right to grant to TREB) the non-exclusive, royalty- free, worldwide right and license to use, copy, adapt, modify, publish, publicly perform and/or publicly display such content at its
discretion. All user submitted content will be reviewed by a TREB appointed [Social Media Coordinator] before it is posted on TREB social media networks, however, you are still personally responsible for the content you submit.
- TREB sponsored social media networks are intended to provide information about, and to foster thoughtful discussion and understanding of the GTA real estate market and TREB activities. While discussing, advocating or debating policy issues affecting the GTA real estate market and/or TREB activities is permitted on TREB sponsored social media networks, such networks are not the proper forum for and should not be used by TREB members to:
• conduct petitions or surveys;
• engage in political campaigning, whether on your own behalf or on behalf of another, and whether related to TREB or otherwise; or
• endorse, promote or disparage any political party or candidate.
- While TREB aims to publish all user-submitted content, TREB will not tolerate or publish, and reserves the right without notice to remove or delete, content that: contains language that TREB, in its sole discretion, considers offensive, abusive, or inappropriate;
• denigrates, insults or personally attacks others;
• is not relevant to the post that is being responded to;
• is a commercial endorsement, solicitation, advertisement or spam; • contains threats of physical or bodily harm;
• contains sensitive, private or confidential information;
• infringes or is alleged to infringe the trademarks, copyrights or other rights of TREB or any third parties; or violates any of TREB policies or agreements or any applicable law.
- Finally, please be aware that TREB may request that you temporarily suspend your use of, or activity on a TREB sponsored social media network if it believes this is necessary or advisable to ensure compliance with legal requirements or TREB’s policies, agreements and/or best practices.
In any circumstance in which you are uncertain about how to respond to a post, send the link/contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
TREB may suspend or revoke your privileges to use or participate in all or a portion of TREB sponsored social media networks and/or take any other appropriate measures to enforce TREB policies and agreements if a violation occurs or is brought to TREB’s attention.
TREB reserves the right to modify these guidelines and any related social media policies at any time in its sole discretion. Accordingly, please review them regularly to ensure you are up-to-date.